Sandra was born 1967 in New Zealand and grew up in a small, northern town by the name of Waipu. Here she spent most of her time riding horses with her Grandfather over the family farm. A love of the outdoors, particularly the bush grew from here. After years of competitive horse riding, she gave it away and replaced that need for fresh air and open spaces with hiking the wilderness. Sandra now resides in Whangarei and works full time as an Artist.
Her love of hiking led to an interest in the birds of New Zealand. She now volunteers with teams working on the security of the future for our endangered wildlife. As a member of the ‘Kokako’ research team for Tiritiri Matangi Island Sanctuary she is constantly inspired by the intriguing nature of New Zealand’s beautiful birds. Here she gains valued reference for future paintings. Sandra is known now for gifting original paintings to raise the profile and money for birds on the brink of extinction.
Sandra likes to work with oils on canvas as the spring of the mount coupled with the translusence of the oil gives the ability to create work with great detail. She loves to achieve a softness to her subjects with many layers to give depth that is so important in paintings of such realisim.
Sandra has always had an interest in art but took up painting later in life only to find a gift waiting to imerge. Being largely self taught leaves Sandra with a unique style quite unlike any other painter in New Zealand. Sandra enjoys working with her clients to produce beautiful commission studies that immortalise memories in oil on canvas forever. The future holds new work to grace the gallery walls of New Zealand, the possibility of exihitions and the continued addition of Ltd Edition Prints that are loved by both local and international markets.
- 2013 Northland Art Awards Finalist
- 2013 Donated ‘Black is Back’ to Tiritiri Matangi for Auction
- 2012 Donated a painting of 'Sirocco' titled ‘Out on a Limb’ for Auction to raise money for Mungatautari and the 'Kakapo' research team.
- 2012 Became a full time Artist.
- 2012 Donated ‘Still in the Picture’ to Tiritiri Matangi for Auction.
- 2011 Selected for The New Zealand Art Show and Awards
- Kaan Zamaan, Kerikeri
- Helena Bay Gallery, Whangarei
- South Sea Gallery, Russell
- Nectar Cafe, Whangarei
- Hertitage Gallery, Cambridge
- Tutukaka Gallery, Northland
- Tiritiri Matangi Island Sanctuary
- Burning Issues, Whangarei
- Matakohe Museum, Northland
- Maungatautari Ecological Island, Cambridge
- Central Art Gallery, Queenstown
- From N to Z, Queen Street, Auckland
- The Gift Shop, Stewart Island
- Reyburn House Gallery, Whangarei
- Matapihi Gallery, Raglan
- Art Matakana, Northland
- The framer, St Heliers Auckland